Sonny The Roadtrippin' Dog "writes" about his travels around the U.S.A.!

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Scarface


I don't mean to do the things I do sometimes. I am excitible. I am enthusiastic. I am curious. I like to play. Sometimes, I admit it, I get out of hand.

Last week, I was snooping around, like usual, tossing myself a tennis ball, and chasing imaginary friends around the living room. My mom was lying on the couch and our friend, Tom, was sitting on the floor using his laptop computer. I jumped onto the back of the couch and walked across it like a balance beam. I had seen some cats do this on Animal Planet, and if they could do it, so could I. I tiptoed to the edge of the couch. I really liked the view from up there - I could see so much! I could even see the top of the end table...and the cup of yummy Dr. Pepper on top of it! I have a weakness for Dr. Pepper, it's true. So, I focused on that like it was prey in the wild. I was a little too focused because I reached out just a bit too far. I tumbled off the couch! Unfortunately, Tom was sitting right underneath the couch, and in all my attempts to keep myself from breaking into a million pieces, I grabbed the first thing I could get my paws on - Tom's head! Now, if you have ever tried to save yourself by grabbing onto a human's head, you'll know it's not very helpful. All I did was dig a big gouge in his forehead with my claws, and land with a splat on the floor. After I stopped seeing stars and realized I hadn't hurt myself, I saw that Tom was bleeding a little. I felt so bad! I licked the wound a little, then banished myself to my bed. Even though my mom said I didn't have to stay there because it was an accident, I just felt so bad I had to punish myself. We're cool now, but I realize that cats have better balance than dogs, and I'll be keeping my distance from the back of the couch.

On Sunday morning, I was lounging in bed with my mom. She decided to take me out for a walk and was getting dressed. She couldn't find any socks to wear so Tom tossed her a pair from the other room. Now, I'm gonna stop right here and let you know that I love socks. Not just like. LOVE. They are the best thing to chew. I am a sock addict. I have been known to sneak into the bedroom and steal them from the hamper I love them so much. So I am just a little dog, and all I see is a pair of socks flying through the air. I am also a very very quick dog and I was on those socks in the blink of an eye. Unfortunately, I had to snag them in the air and as I came down from the jump, I swiped my mom's cheek with my paw. Another gash. Another potential scar. I felt even worse about this one since not only was it my mom that I had hurt, it was also the second time I had done this in less than a week! I am a big klutz, and since then I have been being VERY careful and trying to stay on the ground as much as possible. I also had to get my nails cut which is the worst! Almost as bad as having to take a bath. Lucky for me, the humans love my spunk, and they're gonna keep me around. Even when I scar them for life.